Thursday, July 4, 2013

FREEDOM!

FREEDOM!

      This year on July 4th, our Country will be celebrating its freedom. For me, I'm blessed to be celebrating personal freedom in 3 different, and very significant areas of my life. The freedom we all celebrate as Americans, my personal 27 years of freedom in Jesus Christ, and 29 years of freedom from the bondage of addictions. I could ad a fourth freedom, from being incarcerated, but for those of us who truly Love, Worship, Honor, and Serve Christ, being in jail or prison should be considered nothing more than a unique training exercise, a mission or an opportunity to Serve God sharing the Gospel with lost souls who need a message of Hope and encouragement. (Acts 16:25, Matthew 9:37, Luke 10:2) In America today there are millions of men and women locked up, separated from their families and children, and in many cases for little more than selling or using drugs, or other non violent crimes committed to support their drug or alcohol addictions, or crimes related to the consequences of addictions. These lost souls need 2 things far more than a prison sentence, they need rehabilitation and the Word of God! Most states offer very little of either.
       First, for me, like every American citizen, and the millions of visitors from across the world who will join us in our party of barbeques, brats, booze, and fireworks, (I would not hesitate to suggest that the booze might be at the head of the list for far too many), I, while not participating in any “partying,” will be very  grateful for the freedom this country has provided my family and I over the years.
       Going back to childhood memories of huge family gatherings at my grandparents farm, or at their cabin on an island off the coast of Marblehead, Ma., the memories are many, and will always be fond. In those days, and ever since 1776, on July 4th , our country celebrated peace and victories over wars that had actually threatened our freedom, and would have had unfathomable consequences had we lost them. Unlike our interventions of the past few decades, where the only purpose for sending millions of young men and women into harms way was over greed, corruption, and the pride and arrogance of a few evil leaders. In those days, television was a brand new technology, automobiles had no air conditioning or GPS, there were no men in space, or computers or cell phones. Everyone went to church on Sunday, and at least claimed to be a Christian, as preachers everywhere preached a fire and brimstone message of repentance, children knew about what happened on July 4th, 1776, they knew there was a God, they knew right from wrong, and that they needed to show respect to others. In those days gay marriage, child molestation, rape and murder would have led to a public lynching! Or at least an equal substitute. Justice was meant to deter one from committing such atrocities. Yes, times have changed! Drastically, and for the worse. In those days had the Supreme Court Justices voted to allow same sex marriage, it would have invoked a public outcry equal to “the shot that was heard around the world”! Today, it barely made the news! 
      This July 4th I will also spend time contemplating, and writing about, as I do every day, the moral decline I’ve witnessed over the past 68 years in this country, and around the world. As a Vietnam Veteran, I’ve watched this country mind everybody else’s business, from Vietnam to Afghanistan, in the name of an unfounded excuse of  “protecting our Country,” all the while paying no attention whatsoever to it’s own internal bleeding! During the past 50 years, since the decline of  “fire and brimstone” preaching, (Rev. 21:8),   this country has slipped into a moral cesspool unfit for human life! The only escape and comfort I can find is in the knowledge of Gods Truth, which reveals that we’re merely experiencing the fulfillment of Bible Prophesy! 
      As I wander to and froe these days, I see much pain and fear in the eyes of many men and women wherever I go, even many of the   children I see look unhappy and confused. Whether on the streets, or at a WalMart, the grocery store, or even the many churches where the Gospel is not clearly being preached, or in prisons, the world is filled with millions of lost souls who, because they know right from wrong, and recognize the disgusting condition that the world is in, are lost in deep, dark despair, confused, and concerned about their own future and security, as well as that of their families.    
      While many are at least seeking answers to this dilemma, many others, out of hopelessness, are simply seeking to escape through drugs and alcohol, or the pleasures of other sinful behavior, like living life in the fast lane, with attitudes of “life sucks, party hardy”! Even corporate America feeds this segment of the population with its advertising ploys, and the entertainment industry, including television feeds the sinful nature of anyone who’s not following the Truth of God closely enough to recognize the difference because of satan’s crafty deceit. (Proverbs 26:26) For years now television has become an escape for many millions of people who “can’t handle the truth”! Today when someone is forced to leave their TV for an hour to run an errand, they can only do so by plugging their ears with ear buds into some devise that will keep them from seeing or hearing the reality of the world in which they only “exist,” not “live”! There is no life for these lost souls. Life has become an illusion! 
       9/11 has paralyzed America! Until that fateful day we all felt safe and secure. We relied on our Government to protect us. Our soil had never been attacked by an enemy with such deadly force. Suddenly, within a split second as we all watched in shock and awe, as that second plane crashed into that magnificent tower of steel and glass, our security and peace of mind was incinerated along with the towers. Humpty Dumpty had had a great fall! And all the Kings men will never be able to put Humpty back together again. The mighty towers we’ve been building around this great country over the centuries, are no longer safe, and neither are we! Whether in our homes, at work, or at play, or out and about, we are no longer safe in our own strength. Our government can’t protect us, nor can our money, no matter how much we might have. The truth is, we never have been safe in our own strength. Even our government recognized this truth in 1776, when we declared, “In GOD we Trust”! Unfortunately, that truth has been lost, and now we as a country are lost. God has been rebuking us with warnings over and over again since 9/11 but we fail to acknowledge Him and just bury our heads deeper into the sand.            
       This brings me to the second freedom I’ll be celebrating this fourth of July. Twenty seven years of freedom in Christ! Twenty seven years since my Damascus road experience! (Acts 22:6) Almost literally, as God first spoke to me in a lightening storm when I was crying out to Him in despair, unable to rationalize why a wicked wretch like myself was still alive. God answered my cries by telling me that He had a special plan for me. He’s been revealing that plan little by little, one piece of the puzzle at a time, for 27 long, sometimes grueling years. Since day one, He’s always been Faithful in answering my prayers and questions, in His time, no matter how impatient I was. Teaching me that The Refiners fire is a prerequisite we must all endure to grow and mature our Faith and Trust in Him as well as in ourselves. Teaching me that His strength and power is the only security we need in life. That his plan is the only one we should seek, and that it will never fail. That His Word is the only Truth, and that anything man has to ad to it should be closely scrutinized with the guidance of the Holy Spirit.  
       For anyone reading this who thinks that being Born Again is the beginning of a cakewalk, they have some lessons in reality still ahead of them. Many churches today in their enlistment campaigns to fill pews, would have potential “dues” paying members believe that being saved is the equivalent to having just won the lottery! While Salvation is the most important element of any persons life, it comes with a price. Not a price of money or works, or good deeds, but of self and sacrifice! Not just accepting and believing in Jesus, but surrendering to Him completely by putting Him first in all that we do. 
       Being truly born Again, not just a “professing Christian,” means denying ourselves and taking up our Cross and following Jesus in His footsteps. (Matthew 16:24) It means humbling oneself to be willing to wash your neighbors feet. To love your enemies, to feed the poor, and serve all who come before you. It means first and foremost repenting and proving it by your deeds. (Acts 26:20) It means waiting on God to reveal His plan for your life, rather than doing things your way out of impatience. Waiting patiently to discern and understand His voice and messages, rather than trusting mans words and philosophy, (Col. 2:8) which may lead you straight to hell!   
       Scripture is clear that there are only a few who can measure up to this great task. (Matthew 7:14, KJV,  Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.) Christ promises us that if we decide to embark on this great, but challenging journey, that He will provide us a way, and be with us each step of the journey. (Mathew 28:18-20, 18, And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, “All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. 19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.”) Those few who are chosen to make the journey, (Matthew 7:21-23 KJV,  21 “Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.”) those few, will know who they are. They will not be the doubters, (“Ye of little Faith”), the whiners, the prideful, or the self-righteous, who are seeking fame, fortune, and power. They will be the few who seek, out of pure humility, nothing more than to serve and follow Christ, and to hear His words at the gate, as in, Matthew 25:23, His lord said unto him, “Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.” The chosen few will be those who pick up their cross everyday and ask Christ, “what would you have me do for you today, Lord”? Not, ask the Lord for anything more than guidance and directions, knowing He will provide anything else you might need. May you be one of the few.
      Now for the third freedom I will be celebrating this fourth of July. Twenty nine years ago on July 4th  1984 I consumed my last alcoholic beverage! I remember the day and the surrounding circumstances as well and as clearly as if they happened just yesterday. That last can of beer was consumed at a holiday party and barbeque at Evergreen Lake. Anyone familiar with Denver,  Colorado probably has been there. I was there with my wife and children, but never, ever should have been. 
       My wife and I were both alcoholics and our marriage had been on the rocks for some time, and now was at the end of its rope! We had separated several times prior to this day, always sobering up during the separations, only to start drinking again shortly after we would get back together. The final separation was for a lengthy period of time that had included individual and combined counseling. We had just reunited a few days before the fourth and my wife insisted we go to the party of some friends. Over the previous couple of years I had become determined to quit drinking as I knew it was destroying myself, my marriage, and the welfare of our children. July fourth turned out to be the straw that broke this camel’s back! My wife became totally and embarrassingly wasted, and I decided that I had had enough. I knew the only way I could get, and stay sober was to leave her, as painful as it was. I never wanted my children to have to experience such an ordeal, but at the same time I sensed that it might be better for them. 
      It did turn out to be a very painful experience but a worthwhile one for my children. As my now ex-wife quickly remarried another alcoholic and continued to wallow in the same dysfunctional lifestyle, it gave my children, who would spend weekends and holidays with me, an opportunity to experience me living a clean and sober, productive, and positive lifestyle, compared to the dysfunctional environment at home with their mother. Seeing the difference between the two, eventually as they grew up they were able to determine which lifestyle they preferred, and Praise God, they've both grown up choosing to be clean and sober!   
      Initially, I gave myself all the credit for quitting drinking, believing that I was the power behind the miracle. At the time I had no idea who God was or if I even believed there was a God. It was 2 years later that one day while driving down a country road that I looked in the rear-view mirror and saw a lifetime of carnage that I had left behind me. It seemed that inspite of 2 years of sobriety, my life had really not changed much, if at all. I was still a miserable, unhappy, dysfunctional, empty, and lost soul who had no idea why I was alive. I was successful in the business world, but it ended there. Nothing else made sense. 
      Until one day at my office I met an individual named Lyn Sahr. Lyn shared an office in the same building I was in, and one day we struck up a conversation. I had been curious about the name on his office door which was, “1-800-BUMMED.” He explained that it was a ministry he had started to address an epidemic going on around Colorado of teenage suicides. It provided a toll-free phone number for teens to call for guidance and encouragement who were depressed and contemplating ending their lives. Lyn said he was led to starting this ministry by God and the fact that he had 3 teenage daughters who had witnessed a friend take their own life. He also shared with me that he Pastored a church not to far away, and invited me to visit. 
      At that time I'd not been inside a church since childhood, and had no intention of doing so then or ever, but I politely ended our conversation with a “maybe,” saying to myself, “fat chance”! Little did I know that God had a different plan, and that Lyn Sahr had planted a seed. One that took very little time to germinate. Soon afterwards I had my “Damascus Road” experience in a lightening storm. I was driving home in Colorado’s beautiful mountains one Sunday evening after dropping off my daughter at her mom’s home after having her for the weekend. I was at an all-time emotional low, and as I was gazing at the sunset and lightning flashing all around me, I cried out asking God, “God if you’re real, why am I still alive,” knowing I didn’t deserve to be. Much to my surprise, God answered me with the words, “because I have a special plan for you!” Psalm 145:19, He will fulfill the desire of them that fear him: he also will hear their cry, and will save them. The following Sunday I sat in the back pew in Lyn Sahrs little church in Lakewood, Colorado, weeping uncontrollably as I surrendered my life to Christ. Psalm 39:12,  KJV, “Hear my prayer, O Lord, and give ear unto my cry; hold not thy peace at my tears: for I am a stranger with thee, and a sojourner, as all my fathers were.” What Amazing Grace would save a wretch like me!
      That was the beginning of the greatest freedom of all. The beginning of a journey into Eternity. A journey where God’s plan is being worked out daily, one piece of the puzzle being revealed at a time. It was on that day 27 years ago that I realized it was not I two years earlier who had anything to do with getting sober, but that God had set me free from my drunkenness. That He knew that if I was to be able to hear His call, I needed to be sober. 
      Part of His plan as it turns out is for me to share the message of His freedom which is available to all addicts who will listen. There are only a few who will listen, but then His Word is perfectly clear that that is to be expected. Matthew 18:17, “If they still refuse to listen, tell it to the church; and if they refuse to listen even to the church, treat them as you would a pagan or a tax collector.” Will you be one of the few who make it to the "narrow gate"? To be set free from the bondage of addictions and other sin, we must be obedient in our journey with Him. Then we will be SAVED and SOBER!














No comments :

Post a Comment